2014 Mary Heary Tall Tales Contest
We're looking forward to another great Mary Heary Tall Tales contest.
- The Club Contest is Wednesday, May 14, 2014 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm at Oakville Town Hall, Palermo Room - 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville - 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville
- The Area Contest is Monday, May 26, 2014 at Trafalgar Toastmasters - Oakville Public Library.
What's a Tall Tale?
According to Westside Toastmasters who have this great article about Tall Tales, a Tall Tale should Include the following features - delivered within 3-5 minutes:
- A CHARACTER with extraordinary abilities and a specific goal. In the best tall tales these characters are also, for the most part, ordinary people with which the audience can easily identify.
- A PROBLEM that is solved in a humorous way.
- A CAREFUL BLEND OF EXAGGERATED AND CREDIBLE DETAILS. Don't exaggerate everything in your tale. Use some realistic details to hook your audience, because they can picture themselves in such a situation. Then blend in exaggerated details to amaze them with a tall tale. With this judicious combination of various details you can really set up your audience to laugh. For example, a story about an ordinary person walking into a cave and encountering a bat as big as a bear cub can be hilarious. A story about a ten-foot-tall man digging a tunnel to the center of the Earth, where he encounters dragons and dinosaurs, is more fantasy than funny.
- A COMICAL ENDING. The last lines should make the audience chuckle and/or groan. Clever twists and puns can also be sprinkled throughout the story.
So what are you waiting for? Get started with creating your own Tall Tale!
- Created on .