Congratulations to Glen Abbey Toastmasters who took 1st place in the Area 35 Humorous and Table Topics Speech Contests.
Representing us at the Division B contest on October 21st in Milton will be Srini Kesavan (Humorous Speech) and Mike Kozak (Table Topics). An exceptional effort and a great result for the Glen Abbey Toastmasters club.
We're looking forward to another great Mary Heary Tall Tales contest.
What's a Tall Tale?
According to Westside Toastmasters who have this great article about Tall Tales, a Tall Tale should Include the following features - delivered within 3-5 minutes:
- A CHARACTER with extraordinary abilities and a specific goal. In the best tall tales these characters are also, for the most part, ordinary people with which the audience can easily identify.
- A PROBLEM that is solved in a humorous way.
- A CAREFUL BLEND OF EXAGGERATED AND CREDIBLE DETAILS. Don't exaggerate everything in your tale. Use some realistic details to hook your audience, because they can picture themselves in such a situation. Then blend in exaggerated details to amaze them with a tall tale. With this judicious combination of various details you can really set up your audience to laugh. For example, a story about an ordinary person walking into a cave and encountering a bat as big as a bear cub can be hilarious. A story about a ten-foot-tall man digging a tunnel to the center of the Earth, where he encounters dragons and dinosaurs, is more fantasy than funny.
- A COMICAL ENDING. The last lines should make the audience chuckle and/or groan. Clever twists and puns can also be sprinkled throughout the story.
So what are you waiting for? Get started with creating your own Tall Tale!
Congratulations To The 2014 Area 52 International Speech and Evaluation Contest Winners:
- Tony Corrie (right) - International Speech Contest winner - Glen Abbey Toastmasters. Tony also went on to win 3rd place at the Division L International Speech Contest.
- Frederique Herel (left) - Evaluation Contest winner - Mighty Oaks Toastmasters. Frederique is also a Glen Abbey Toastmaster.
Congratulations to the International Speech and Evaluation Contest Winners!
What a great contest. Excellent speeches and evalautions by everyone. We'll be cheering for our first place winners Tony Corrie at the Area International Speech Contest and Mike Kozak at the Area Evaluation Contest.
A special thank you to all the contest participants and volunteers who made this contest a great success:
- Contest Chair - Chris Roode
- Chief Judge - Sean Connor
- Target Speaker: Derek Donnan - TAIE Toastmasters
- Sergents At Arms - Ross Cree and Miguel Yeara
- Greeter - Loise Githinji
- Counters - Eileen Bonnetti and Rachel Desouza
- Timers - Abazar Nezafat and Sophie Yang
Wednesday October 1, 2014.
If you are looking for a fun-filled evening full of laughter mark that date in your calendar. At 7.30 Toastmaster Sushila Pereira will be chairing the 2014 Glen Abbey Toastmasters humorous and table topics contest. Laughs are guaranteed so be prepared. Come on out and support our brave contestants and dedicated volunteers. The winners will be representing Glen Abbey at the Area B-35 contest hosted by Trafalgar Toastmasters at Oakville Central Library at 7pm on Monday October 6, 2014.
See you there!